My hair tea /DIY natural shampoo

Weekend is here and it is time for DIY products that serves for the rest of the week and today's product is natural shampoo.
Most of the Indians should be familiar with the shampoo made out of reetha/sheekakai. This reminds me of my childhood experiences of burning eyes and finding a reason to bunk the school with the look of bloodshot eyes.
As a kid I never worried about my hair or hair fall. It was mamas problem to nourish and maintain her hair as well as long hair of her two daughters. Being a working woman she used to take time to prepare the natural shampoo powder even we moved away from home for higher studies/job. This continued until I came to US. I switched to so called organic labelled shampoos but was never contented with the cleansing process.When I started losing my hair and near baldness I switched back to the herbal shampoo which I call as 'hair tea'.
Ingredients I used:
  • Handful of whole amla
  • Handful of reetha
  • Handful of sheekakai
  • Licorice root
  • Fenugreek seeds

1. Soak all these beauties overnight in a bowl filled with water.
2. You can straight away use the shampoo by squishing and straining the juice. But I prefer to boil for 10 minutes and on low flame for another 10 minutes. The longer you cook the more concentrated shampoo. Once it cools down, squeeze and extract the juice. Strain and store the shampoo. Usually I prepare the necessary amount per week and freeze.I thaw them before an hour of taking shower.

  • Shikakai is very much a deep cleansing herb but will not strip hair of its natural oils as it maintains the natural ph balance.
  • Reetha contains natural surfactants called saponins, which makes it a great natural cleanser. Surfactants are foaming agents that help remove dirt and grease from your hair/skin. Most commercial shampoos contain chemical surfactants which may not be skin or environment friendly. Reetha is a natural softener, so no need for conditioner after shampoo.
  • Amla strengthens hair roots and address premature graying.
  • Licorice which is an anti-agjng herb called YashtiMadhu in Ayurveda improves hair quality and stops baldness.
  • Fenugreek seeds softens hair and prevents any scalp conditions like dandruff or eczema.
  • If available neem leaves/hibiscus leaves/bringhraj/brahmi can be mixed with the solution.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DIY alkanet lip balm

DIY Cuticle oil

Avo Olive Hair mask